Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Poem 43: It is the leaves that are yellow, and old

Two paths, I said, diverged
In a wood. A yellow wood,
You’re right. And they are
Roads, but that seems confusing.
In the wood, you walk on paths
Leaves crunch under your feet
If there were cars – if there are
Cars, they take you back to where
You’re escaping from.  But to return
To this intersection, this cross, yes
You look back. I’m on the one less.
The one with less. Well, just being
In the woods, right? What you see
Are the old roads, sometimes with
Stone walls, and there used to be
No woods at all. Someone walked here.
Lots of people, maybe. And they
Are gone. Standing here, come to
Think of it, I do hear cars. How
Can I not? And they pass, and I
Stand here, and I marvel at the noise
That carries through the woods
Such that you can hear it on one path

Or the other.

No comments:

Post a Comment