Tuesday, December 1, 2009

I Got To 24

Well, November's out. I wrote 24 poems (plus one revision) in 30 days, six poems off the pace. I think I will continue writing, at least until I get to the 30 poems, if not longer. It was an interesting month. Someone asked me, "How do you find the time to write every day?" And I told them that I didn't have the time, really, that a lot of the poems were dashed off in 15 minutes or a half an hour, when I really should have been doing other things. But it did make me pay attention during the day, thinking about things that could make their way into poems. As I wrote many of the poems, I was aware that they were hasty, rushed, half-baked, drafts. Some poems I think have interesting things going on in them, but I pushed them to completion so that I could have a poem in a day, and then the next day, I moved on to the next poem. But I have 24 poems, and even if most of them could use some serious revision and some of them should just be buried, it has been a rewarding experience. I forced myself to find the time and sit down and write. I should make it a habit.

1 comment: